Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Weight of Heaven



I read this book for a book club I am going to try out. The book club is being put on by a group in my church. I went to another event held by the same group, 'the not so youth group', group and it was a horrible experience. It was a game night, and everyone there was complaining about their spouse, or kids, or being pregnant. I could not relate, and I was extremely irritated and annoyed listening to all of the negativity. I decided the group was not for me.

Then I got an email inviting me to join their book club. I'm thinking it will be a group of different people, some may be the same, but hopefully there will be some other people to even out the group. I decided I would read the book and if I liked it, I would check out the book club meeting.

The first meeting is tonight at 7:30 and I will be going. This book was amazing. The Weight of Heaven by Thrity Umrigar was fantastic. I've never read a book quite like this one. Thrity Umrigar is an Indian woman, she wrote this book about an American couple who moved to India when the husband had the opportunity to transfer there for work.

It is an amazing story of loss, hope, love, despair, and irony. I really enjoyed it. I am hoping by joining the book club, I will be introduced to many more great books that I normally wouldn't read on my own, and I will fit in with the group a little better than I did at game night!

No comments: