Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Best Berry Cumble

My mom and I picked a ton of blueberries a week or so ago, and they've just been sitting in my freezer so I decided to try a new recipe. I found it through The Daily Green newsletter I've been getting sent to my email. Since I don't have a computer or Internet at my new apartment yet, I couldn't upload any pictures of the final product, but it was delicious. The recipe calls for blackberries but they were pretty pricey at the store so I just substituted more blueberries. I scooped it on top of vanilla ice cream while it was still warm and it was so good. Ross even ate it! He ate a lot of it! He's pretty much a chocolate guy, so for him to like this is saying a lot. Here's the recipe and a photo from the website. The pie looking thing in the right background is what it looks like.



BEST BERRY CRUMBLE

Crumbles are great sprinkled on your favorite ice cream. They're also good when mixed into hot cereals.


SERVINGS 4

COOK TIME 15

TOTAL TIME 45


INGREDIENTS
2 cups blueberries
1 cup blackberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
whipped cream or vanilla ice cream


PREPARATION
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Adjust oven rack to upper third.
Toss blueberries and blackberries with sugar, lemon juice, and 2 tsp. flour. Turn into 9" pie plate.
2. In medium bowl, mix remaining flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and oats with fingers until crumbly. Sprinkle topping over berries.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until fruit is bubbly and top is browned.
Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

No comments: