Friday, March 6, 2009

The 50 States Project

I'm not entirely sure what to do with this blog now that Honduras posts are done. I know I don't have many (if any) followers, but eventually I'd like the blog to grow and develop a life of its own. I think I will push for that once I know what I'm going to do with it!

For now, I will post about interesting things I find while browsing the Internet.
Here is one!
California People post by Jeremy & Claire Weiss
This is The 50 States Project. One person from each of the 50 United States was selected to participate in a photography project. Each person photographs assignments that best portrays their home state. The first assignment was to photograph people. This is the photograph for the state of Michigan, and I think the photographer captured the essence of Michigan very well. Peter Baker, the photographer also added a title and a description of his photo, see below.
"Joe Diesel, Ypsilanti, Michigan, 2009" © Peter Baker
"Joe McEachern is a mechanic in Ypsilianti who specializes in converting diesel vehicles to run on vegetable oil. He's a young entrepreneur as well, starting a veggie-powered party bus service that shuttles college students to local bars, driving business interests and providing safe rides to the partiers. He is part of a hopeful future for Michigan, using mechanical ingenuity and environmental passion to create new opportunities for the state."
This is such a symbolic photo and a great representation of the state of Michigan's economy right now. With the Big 3 auto makers struggling, and GM announcing that they are in more trouble than they thought, and as a result, smaller businesses losing work, it's hard here. The only way things will pick up is with the hard work and innovation of individuals. The Big 3 should look at Joe McEachern's design and ideas and learn from the 'average Joe'. Get on board!
I really enjoyed looking at all of the pictures for each of the 50 states! I can't wait to see what photos the upcoming assignments will be. Check out the pictures from your state!

No comments: