Friday, February 6, 2009

Hands In Service Projects Part 1

While we were in Honduras our group was able to see and tour most of the other projects that Hands In Service built. The only project that we were unable to see was the houses that were built for the grandmas in the mountains.

The first place we went to was the orphanage. This orphanage was started by Wayne Merz and his wife Char. The founded Hands In Service, and Wayne was with us on the trip. When they first started the orphanage, Hands In Service was known as All God's Children. All God's Children is still an organization but Wayne and Char don't do anything with that group anymore, they are self sufficient and help run the orphanage.
We went to the girls orphanage, the boys work on a farm, we were unable to go see that one. We walked to Church with the girls in the orphanage. They girls are very well taken care of, they have their own clothes, they are clean, they seem happy, they are just very deprived of attention, affection and love. There are 300 girls housed at the orphanage, and it is nearly impossible for the workers to have one-on-one time with each girl. The girls are not shy and they literally run up to you and swarm you and grab on to you and hold your hand and lay on you. This was a little hard for me because I'm not great with kids and I like my space. But the girls were sweet.
This was a mural that was painted on the side of a garage. Sammi, one of the girls at the orphanage took this picture. I think this picture was important for these girls.

This is the building with the beds in it.



This is a girl on her bed. She wanted her picture taken on her bed because that is the only thing that is just hers. They don't have toys or books or anything that is just theirs. She was proud of her space.

These were the girls that came running to me. They are both 11 years old. The girl on the left with her face covered is Suma, she really did want her picture taken, then changed her mind. The girl on the right is Sammi. Sammi was very good with my camera. She took a lot of pictures, and I didn't have to show her how. She even knew how to delete a picture! I was amazed!
Suma took this picture of her friend taking a picture. The thought it was hilarious! They were funny to watch with the cameras. I was scared I wasn't going to get mine back for a second!

Sammi took this picture of Suma in front of their flower garden.


I would not like the chore of doing laundry!


I didn't get all of the pictures I wanted to here because the girls were having fun with the camera, so I just let them take it over for the day! It was an eye opening experience to see all of these kids just craving attention. We stopped at a couple of other Hands In Service past projects, I will post about them soon!

No comments: